India lifts freeze on visa on arrival for Pak seniors
New Delhi: Giving a new fillip to its relations with Pakistan, India has started visa on arrival facility for senior citizens of that country.
The facility, which was supposed to start on January 15 as part of the new liberalised visa pact between the neighbours, was suspended following the killing of two Indian soldiers along the LoC and subsequent heightened tensions in bilateral relations.
"We have launched visa on arrival facility to Pakistani senior citizens at the Attari Integrated Check Post from April 1," a Home Ministry official said.
However, no decision has been taken on the stalled group tourist visa facility to Pakistani nationals. The two countries had agreed to operationalise the group tourist visa facility to be offered to each other`s citizens from March 15.
Though there is no visible forward movement in India-Pakistan bilateral relations, the reason for the sudden launch of the visa for Pakistani senior citizens was not immediately known.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last month had said that the barbaric killing of Indian soldiers in Kashmir had cast a shadow on bilateral relations and asked Pakistan to create a conducive environment to take the normalisation process forward.
Singh had said he was yet to see any "tangible progress" in dismantling of terror infrastructure in Pakistan and bringing to justice the perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attacks.
Earlier also, Singh had said that it cannot be "business as usual" between the neighbours following the LoC incident.
The new visa agreement was signed last September to ease cross-border travel as part of a number of Confidence Building Measures (CBMs).
Some clauses of the relaxed visa regime like multiple- entry and reporting-free visas for businessmen and allowing them to travel to five cities instead of the earlier three were operationalised when Pakistan`s Interior Minister Rehman Malik visited New Delhi in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy