India lights up for Diwali
New Delhi: Fireworks illuminated the evening sky, earthen diyas dotted houses and people exchanged sweets and gifts on Diwali which also witnessed bonhomie between Indian and Pakistani guards at border posts.
Children and youths burst crackers and lit fireworks while families visited their neighbours, exchanged `Happy Diwali` greetings and sweets. People also took the route of SMS and social networking websites to wish each other.
Diwali is celebrated to mark the return of Lord Rama to Ayodhya from his exile after vanquishing demon-king Ravana.
In the national capital, people decorated their homes and shops with colourful `rangolis` and flowers and lit diyas.
In nearby Amritsar, thousands of people paid obeisance in the Golden Temple, which was illuminated by fancy lights. Community feast (langar) was arranged for the devotees. On Diwali in 1620, sixth Sikh Guru Hargobind Sahib was released by Mughal emperor Jahangir from Gwalior fort.
Indian and Pakistani forces at the Attari border exchanged sweets on the occasion of Diwali. BSF`s officiating DIG, Deby Joseph, along with other officers and jawans, gifted different types of traditional Indian sweets to their Pakistani counterparts. Pakistani Rangers Wing Commander Mohammed Asheer Khan returned the gesture with an assortment of Pakistani sweets.
People also celebrated Diwali in other parts of the country with traditional fervour and gaiety. Devotees thronged temples and offered prayers.
Bollywood turned to Twitter to greet the people and also to ask fans to go slow on sweets and crackers. However, this year there was no Diwali release. Hrithik Roshan starrer "Krrish 3" released on Dhanteras which was on Friday.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh greeted the people on the occasion of Diwali saying the festival of lights strengthens the country`s resolve to follow true ethical values.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security