India likely to be largest economy by 2050: US
Kolkata: US Assistant Secretary of State (Bureau of South and central Asian affairs) Robert O Blake on Friday said the future of Indian economy seems very bright and the country is likely to become the world`s third largest economy by 2030, and the largest by 2050.
He added, "The incredible growth of India`s economy has resulted in positive spillover effect for the US between 2002-2009, US goods exports to India quadrupled, growing from USD 4.1 billion to more than USD 16.4 billion in 2009."
"US services exports to India more than tripled from USD 3.2 billion to USD 9.9 billion during the period," he said.
Last year, US-India trade in goods broke a record with US exports increasing by 17 percent and US imports from India rising by 40 percent, he said during a seminar on `West Bengal and Beyond: US-India business links and prospects` here.
"This surge of nearly 30 percent to a high of USD 48.8 billion in goods trade moved India up two notches to become our 12th largest goods trading partner. This positive trend continues, with two-way trade up 19 percent in the first quarter of 2011, over the same period last year," he said.
Blake said US trade with India was very much a two-way exchange with mutual benefits to both the countries.
"Robust two-way trade means citizens from Kolkata to Kansas will see the benefits of our trade agreement," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games
- PM Narendra Modi's brother raises arrest of dhaba owner with Indore police chief
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected