India looking at redressal of outstanding issues by US
New Delhi: A day after External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid raised "concerns" relating to Devyani Khobragade episode with his American counterpart John Kerry, India is now looking at redressal of outstanding issues by the US in this regard.
India and the US have a broad-based relationship on wide range of issues, the spokesperson in the External Affairs Ministry noted but said "it is also a fact that we were faced with a situation that we think should have never happened and therefore, there is a need to address and resolve the issues that relate to that situation."
Admitting that the arrest and subsequent treatment meted out to senior Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade by the US authorities has "distressed" the country, the spokesperson said the episode has also caused "stress" to the Indo-US relationship.
He said, "Our concern is that in a democracy when there are established avenues for resolving issues, why is a country required to resort to evacuating people from that country to another country. That is what the External Affairs Minister has raised in the meeting (with Kerry)."
A 1999 batch IFS officer, Khobragade was arrested on December 12 on visa fraud charges and subsequently strip-searched before she was released on a bail of USD 250,000, evoking a sharp reaction by the government here which withdrew extra privileges enjoyed by the US diplomats posted in India.
India was also upset over visas issued by the US embassy to the three family members -- husband and two children of Richard, saying that American diplomatic mission facilitated the illegal immigration of the family to the US.
Richard`s family flew to New York on December 10, two days ahead of Khobragade`s arrest in New York, on the air tickets provided by the US Embassy`s official travel agency.
On the takeaway of Khurshid-Kerry meeting, he said there was an understanding that there was a need to resolve the issues which relates to the fallout of Khobragade episode.
Khurshid and Kerry, who met on the sidelines of Geneva-II talks on Syria in the Swiss resort city of Montreux yesterday, also recognised the need to put in place institutional arrangements to look at all outstanding issues relating to the privileges and immunities of diplomats of both countries so that such issues could be resolved in a timely manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday