India looking to sell 500 MW electricity to Pak
New Delhi: India is looking to sell 500 MW of electricity to Pakistan by establishing a transmission link between the two countries.
"A Group of experts of India and Pakistan met in Islamabad last month to explore the possibility of a 500 MW cross border transmission inter-connection between India and Pakistan for transmission of power that may be sourced by Pakistan from the Indian electricity market on commercial basis," Minister of State for Power KC Venugopal informed the Rajya Sabha on Monday.
Electricity from central and state generating stations supplying power to discoms is not proposed to be diverted to Pakistan, he said.
Mode of transmission is proposed to be transmission interconnection and the duration of transmission of electricity would depend on the contractual arrangement of trade.
The discussions are part of efforts to create a strong electricity grid between India and other SAARC countries such as Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, according to state-run Power Grid Corporation (PGCIL).
Meanwhile, the feasibility study for an under-sea interconnection between India and Sri Lanka is under finalisation.
Fuel-deficit Pakistan had in March this year removed gasoline or petrol from the list of banned imports from India. It, however, allowed petrol imports only through sea routes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31