`India looking to top Aussie panel to address concerns`
London: India is looking to a top panel
set up by Australia to address the concerns of Indian
students, who have been targets of spate of attacks there, External Affairs Minister S M Krishna said on Saturday.
"The high-level group must have been now formed and I
will have to get updated from our High Commission as to what
happened at the first meeting of the group which is supposed to
address the concern of Indian students in Australia," Krishna
said in an interview.
He said "We will have to give it a try, how that
Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith had
assured Krishna here on Wednesday that a high-level working
group would be set up by the federal government and the
government of Victoria state to study the spate of attacks on
Indians in that country.
Asked to comment on the outcome of the one-day London
conference on Afghanistan, Krishna said "the conference,
attended by over 60 foreign ministers, has served a very
useful purpose for international community to understand
various aspects involved with reference to Afghanistan".
"I think, preparatory to this conference, all
countries who were invited, have tried to formulate their own
positions vis-à-vis the emerging trends in Afghanistan," he
Krishna said British Prime Minister Gordon Brown
and Foreign Secretary David Miliband "set the tone by going
public in conveying to all those who mattered that India`s
participation was necessary because the entire neighbourhood
is going to be affected by whatever happens in Afghanistan".
"I presume the Prime Minister going public is to
share great concern equally with India about fighting the
terror of al Qaeda and Taliban," he said.
"India feels the conference has provided us a
platform," the foreign minister underlined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?