India maintains strategically autonomous foreign policy: Khurshid
Singapore: India is able to talk to any country openly and frankly and maintains a strategically autonomous foreign policy, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said here on Wednesday.
"The important thing is that India is able to talk openly and frankly," Khurshid, who is here on a three-day visit, said while responding to a question on how he saw the recently held US-China dialogue.
"We don`t like closing ourselves in a box, in fact. We remain strategically autonomous which is deeply the right model to do. It may have specific advantages and disadvantages, given the situation in the world," he said.
"Our own foreign policy has huge sentimental moral principles built into it," said Khurshid, after delivering a public lecture today.
He was responding to a question on how India felt about the recent China-US dialogue, seen as an effort by the two countries to work out closer relationship.
Khurshid stressed that India treats both China and the United States as strategic partners.
Elaborating, Khurshid said India never treat its relationship with another country based on that country`s relationships with another country.
He said India has engaged China despite its differences with Pakistan and Beijing`s historical alliance with Islamabad.
"We rely on progressive engagement with China. Our Prime Minister met previous leadership eight times in the last few years. The first official visit Premier Li Keqiang made was to India, which I think is very, very important gesture."
Khurshid stressed that India dealt with all countries, whether they are big or small, as a friend.
"We dealt with Iran as a friend to the full knowledge of the US. They never told us that we should stop talking to Iran," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city