India-Maldives begin joint military training exercise in Belgaum
New Delhi: In an endeavour to enhance the close military cooperation between the two countries, the fourth joint military training exercise between the Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) - EKUVERIN 2012 - is being held in Belgaum from November 12 to 25.
A total of 45 personnel from the MNDF are taking part in the exercises along with the personnel from the Indian Army.
The bilateral annual exercises, which commenced in 2009 in Belgaum, are alternately held in India and Maldives.
The aim of the exercises is to enhance the close military cooperation between the two countries.
Brigadier General Ahmed Nilam, Commandant - Marine Corps, MNDF would be arriving later to observe EKUVERIN 2012, along with senior officers from the Indian side. Defence ties between India and Maldives have continued to expand and strengthen over the years.
In April 2012, both countries, along with Sri Lanka, held joint Coast Guard/Naval exercises - DOSTI XI - off the coast of Male (Maldives) to strengthen the bonds of friendship and enhance mutual operational capability and cooperation in the region.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony visited Maldives in September this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’