India may announce upto 25% carbon emissions cut
Beijing: India is likely to announce its own carbon emission targets based on its economic growth levels, ahead of the climate summit in Copenhagen.
An indication to this effect was given by Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh who met Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao, a day after Beijing announced massive emission cut target up to 45 percent by 2020.
Ramesh and Wen are believed to have discussed the strategies the two countries may adopt at the Copenhagen climate summit next month.
The Chinese government is said to have confirmed to him its opposition to allowing any international review of its environmental programme, including carbon emission reduction, a stand India has also shared.
India is surprised by the high level of emission cuts announced by China yesterday by which it has pledged to reduce its carbon intensity by 40 to 45 percent by 2020.
In response, Indian officials said the country might decide to voluntarily reduce its carbon intensity by 20-25 percent on a purely domestic level.
The Environment Minister is believed to be of the view that India cannot ignore emission target levels fixed on their own by countries like China, Brazil and South Africa. But India`s targets may not be as high as that of China.
Ahead of his visit to China, Ramesh had said that "we (India and China) are on same page as far as negotiations are concerned but not as far as emissions are concerned. China today is the world`s leading carbon emitter while India is on the fifth position."
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'