India may announce upto 25% carbon emissions cut
Beijing: India is likely to announce its own carbon emission targets based on its economic growth levels, ahead of the climate summit in Copenhagen.
An indication to this effect was given by Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh who met Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao, a day after Beijing announced massive emission cut target up to 45 percent by 2020.
Ramesh and Wen are believed to have discussed the strategies the two countries may adopt at the Copenhagen climate summit next month.
The Chinese government is said to have confirmed to him its opposition to allowing any international review of its environmental programme, including carbon emission reduction, a stand India has also shared.
India is surprised by the high level of emission cuts announced by China yesterday by which it has pledged to reduce its carbon intensity by 40 to 45 percent by 2020.
In response, Indian officials said the country might decide to voluntarily reduce its carbon intensity by 20-25 percent on a purely domestic level.
The Environment Minister is believed to be of the view that India cannot ignore emission target levels fixed on their own by countries like China, Brazil and South Africa. But India`s targets may not be as high as that of China.
Ahead of his visit to China, Ramesh had said that "we (India and China) are on same page as far as negotiations are concerned but not as far as emissions are concerned. China today is the world`s leading carbon emitter while India is on the fifth position."
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble