India may announce upto 25% carbon emissions cut
Beijing: India is likely to announce its own carbon emission targets based on its economic growth levels, ahead of the climate summit in Copenhagen.
An indication to this effect was given by Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh who met Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao, a day after Beijing announced massive emission cut target up to 45 percent by 2020.
Ramesh and Wen are believed to have discussed the strategies the two countries may adopt at the Copenhagen climate summit next month.
The Chinese government is said to have confirmed to him its opposition to allowing any international review of its environmental programme, including carbon emission reduction, a stand India has also shared.
India is surprised by the high level of emission cuts announced by China yesterday by which it has pledged to reduce its carbon intensity by 40 to 45 percent by 2020.
In response, Indian officials said the country might decide to voluntarily reduce its carbon intensity by 20-25 percent on a purely domestic level.
The Environment Minister is believed to be of the view that India cannot ignore emission target levels fixed on their own by countries like China, Brazil and South Africa. But India`s targets may not be as high as that of China.
Ahead of his visit to China, Ramesh had said that "we (India and China) are on same page as far as negotiations are concerned but not as far as emissions are concerned. China today is the world`s leading carbon emitter while India is on the fifth position."
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report