India monitors Sri Lankan prison riot
New Delhi: India Saturday said it is "closely monitoring" the situation arising out of the violence at Welikada prison in Sri Lanka, where 39 Indians are lodged.
The toll in the prison riot has risen to 27 after prisoners and military overnight exchanged gunfire.
"India`s high commission in Sri Lanka has been closely monitoring the evolving situation in the Welikada prison since last evening," India`s Ministry of External Affairs spokesman Syed Akbaruddin said here.
"This morning, (Indian) High Commissioner Ashok Kantha has been in touch with (Sri Lankan) Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa and Foreign Secretary Amunugama. He was assured that the situation is under control and all Indian prisoners are safe," Akbaruddin said.
"Officials of the Indian high commission in Colombo have been in touch with prison officials and are pressing for early consular access," he added.
Of the 39 Indian prisoners, five are undertrials brought from Jaffna in the northeastern part of the island nation, and the rest 34 are undergoing their sentence.
There are nearly 4,000 inmates in the prison.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list