India near to finishing Libya evacuation
New Delhi: India said on Thursday it was in the final stage of evacuating 15,000 nationals from strife-torn Libya, with its last flights due to leave the country later in the day.
The government in New Delhi has organised planes, a passenger ship and help for nationals escaping overland from Libya, where Muammar Gaddafi is fighting to retain his grip on power.
The "Scotia Prince" vessel arrived in the Egyptian port of Alexandria from Tripoli on Wednesday, carrying 972 Indians, according to a statement on the Indian Foreign Ministry`s website.
It said the final 2,400 people would return to India on eight special flights from Tripoli and Sebha in Libya and from Egypt by Thursday evening.
India has been working to evacuate its citizens from Libya since February 26, as many countries have rushed to bring nationals to safety amid worsening clashes between Kadhafi`s troops and rebel fighters.
"The ministry is confident that (by Thursday) almost all Indian nationals desirous of leaving Libya will be back home," the foreign ministry said.
"Two other Indian naval vessels have arrived off the Libyan coast but in all likelihood they may not be needed for evacuations," an official in New Delhi who declined to be named told AFP.
About 85 percent, or 15,000, of the 18,000 Indians in Libya will have been evacuated, with the remaining 3,000 choosing to remain, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing