India near to finishing Libya evacuation
New Delhi: India said on Thursday it was in the final stage of evacuating 15,000 nationals from strife-torn Libya, with its last flights due to leave the country later in the day.
The government in New Delhi has organised planes, a passenger ship and help for nationals escaping overland from Libya, where Muammar Gaddafi is fighting to retain his grip on power.
The "Scotia Prince" vessel arrived in the Egyptian port of Alexandria from Tripoli on Wednesday, carrying 972 Indians, according to a statement on the Indian Foreign Ministry`s website.
It said the final 2,400 people would return to India on eight special flights from Tripoli and Sebha in Libya and from Egypt by Thursday evening.
India has been working to evacuate its citizens from Libya since February 26, as many countries have rushed to bring nationals to safety amid worsening clashes between Kadhafi`s troops and rebel fighters.
"The ministry is confident that (by Thursday) almost all Indian nationals desirous of leaving Libya will be back home," the foreign ministry said.
"Two other Indian naval vessels have arrived off the Libyan coast but in all likelihood they may not be needed for evacuations," an official in New Delhi who declined to be named told AFP.
About 85 percent, or 15,000, of the 18,000 Indians in Libya will have been evacuated, with the remaining 3,000 choosing to remain, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights