India nearly ready with air-to-land supersonic cruise missile
Bangalore: An air-to-land supersonic missile
was almost ready, A Sivathanu Pillai, CEO and Managing
Director of BrahMos Aerospace, an Indo-Russian joint venture,
"All the modifications have been completed. We are now in
the process of readying with the missile," he told reporters
here. This air-to-land supersonic missile "very precisely"
attacks the target, he added.
But he said the Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft, in which it is
planned to be fitted, needed to be modified and this process
is expected to take two years.
Since this BrahMos supersonic cruise missile is "heavier"
and "elaborate", the Sukhois, which could carry other weapons,
needed to be modified "exclusively" for BrahMos, including in
the context of pilot`s console and "mission computer should
take the (extra) load" and interface issues.
"In the next two years, we are planning to complete these
modifications. By 2012 we will be in a position to carry out
the flight (with this missile)," Pillai said.
Under the programme, two Sukhoi-30 MKIs would be modified
initially. Initial test flights would be conducted in Russia
and the "actual" test flights thereafter in India. These
missiles would be inducted by the IAF "after 2012".
Meanwhile, Pillai also said the BrahMos missile is
capable of launching from underwater and "it can go against
ship target and land target".
"We have to prove it from under water. We are planning to
conduct tests from under water in the near future. Once it`s
successful, it will get into submarine," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days