India nearly ready with air-to-land supersonic cruise missile
Bangalore: An air-to-land supersonic missile
was almost ready, A Sivathanu Pillai, CEO and Managing
Director of BrahMos Aerospace, an Indo-Russian joint venture,
"All the modifications have been completed. We are now in
the process of readying with the missile," he told reporters
here. This air-to-land supersonic missile "very precisely"
attacks the target, he added.
But he said the Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft, in which it is
planned to be fitted, needed to be modified and this process
is expected to take two years.
Since this BrahMos supersonic cruise missile is "heavier"
and "elaborate", the Sukhois, which could carry other weapons,
needed to be modified "exclusively" for BrahMos, including in
the context of pilot`s console and "mission computer should
take the (extra) load" and interface issues.
"In the next two years, we are planning to complete these
modifications. By 2012 we will be in a position to carry out
the flight (with this missile)," Pillai said.
Under the programme, two Sukhoi-30 MKIs would be modified
initially. Initial test flights would be conducted in Russia
and the "actual" test flights thereafter in India. These
missiles would be inducted by the IAF "after 2012".
Meanwhile, Pillai also said the BrahMos missile is
capable of launching from underwater and "it can go against
ship target and land target".
"We have to prove it from under water. We are planning to
conduct tests from under water in the near future. Once it`s
successful, it will get into submarine," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Lemon: An ideal ingredient for your glowing skin, good health
- 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra stun with their chemistry on 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa'
- Pleasant music helps employees turn in better performances: Study
- Unbelievable! Airtel offers 10 GB 4G data at just Rs 250
- Using Facebook, Twitter may cut BP, diabetes in elderly