India nearly ready with air-to-land supersonic cruise missile
Bangalore: An air-to-land supersonic missile
was almost ready, A Sivathanu Pillai, CEO and Managing
Director of BrahMos Aerospace, an Indo-Russian joint venture,
"All the modifications have been completed. We are now in
the process of readying with the missile," he told reporters
here. This air-to-land supersonic missile "very precisely"
attacks the target, he added.
But he said the Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft, in which it is
planned to be fitted, needed to be modified and this process
is expected to take two years.
Since this BrahMos supersonic cruise missile is "heavier"
and "elaborate", the Sukhois, which could carry other weapons,
needed to be modified "exclusively" for BrahMos, including in
the context of pilot`s console and "mission computer should
take the (extra) load" and interface issues.
"In the next two years, we are planning to complete these
modifications. By 2012 we will be in a position to carry out
the flight (with this missile)," Pillai said.
Under the programme, two Sukhoi-30 MKIs would be modified
initially. Initial test flights would be conducted in Russia
and the "actual" test flights thereafter in India. These
missiles would be inducted by the IAF "after 2012".
Meanwhile, Pillai also said the BrahMos missile is
capable of launching from underwater and "it can go against
ship target and land target".
"We have to prove it from under water. We are planning to
conduct tests from under water in the near future. Once it`s
successful, it will get into submarine," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters