‘India needs long-term strategy to fight graft’
New Delhi: India needs to adopt a long-term
strategy and provide higher pay packages to civil servants to
combat corruption, the visiting Mayor of Germany`s Stuttgart
city, Wolfgang Schuster, said here on Monday.
"All our civil servants are well-paid. There is no
question of corruption. All kinds of corruption are a real
criminal act. You (India) need to have a long-term strategy to
change this mentality. We see corruption in Germany (also),"
Schuster said at an interactive session organised by industry
body PHD Chamber.
Schuster, who has served as Mayor of Stuttgart since
1997, is on a week-long visit to India along with 25 German
delegates from sectors like education, infrastructure and the
He said corruption is not just restricted to bribes, it
can be non-payment of taxes. "You have to structure quality of
civil servants, education and training and payment of taxes.
Tax payment is very small. Revenue is a huge problem...," he
Schuster is working with 23,000 employees at his office
to turn Stuttgart -- the sixth-largest city in Germany -- into
the most child-friendly city in the country.
On the quality of services provided by public
institutions, like airports, he said they can only improve if
citizens pay taxes.
"If you want to provide education, you need public money.
Public money is a critical issue for India. It`s normal for us
to pay taxes. India has to decide... where to go. You have to
think about what`s the right way," he said.
Local governance depends upon tradition, he said, adding,
"India is different from Germany. Germany is different from
Europe. I can`t give recipes."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie