‘India needs long-term strategy to fight graft’
New Delhi: India needs to adopt a long-term
strategy and provide higher pay packages to civil servants to
combat corruption, the visiting Mayor of Germany`s Stuttgart
city, Wolfgang Schuster, said here on Monday.
"All our civil servants are well-paid. There is no
question of corruption. All kinds of corruption are a real
criminal act. You (India) need to have a long-term strategy to
change this mentality. We see corruption in Germany (also),"
Schuster said at an interactive session organised by industry
body PHD Chamber.
Schuster, who has served as Mayor of Stuttgart since
1997, is on a week-long visit to India along with 25 German
delegates from sectors like education, infrastructure and the
He said corruption is not just restricted to bribes, it
can be non-payment of taxes. "You have to structure quality of
civil servants, education and training and payment of taxes.
Tax payment is very small. Revenue is a huge problem...," he
Schuster is working with 23,000 employees at his office
to turn Stuttgart -- the sixth-largest city in Germany -- into
the most child-friendly city in the country.
On the quality of services provided by public
institutions, like airports, he said they can only improve if
citizens pay taxes.
"If you want to provide education, you need public money.
Public money is a critical issue for India. It`s normal for us
to pay taxes. India has to decide... where to go. You have to
think about what`s the right way," he said.
Local governance depends upon tradition, he said, adding,
"India is different from Germany. Germany is different from
Europe. I can`t give recipes."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire