India needs `man of steel` as PM: Rajnath Singh
Guwahati: Criticising the UPA government at the Centre for the country`s economic situation, BJP president Rajnath Singh on Wednesday said the nation`s fiscal health was deteriorating despite having an economist as prime minister.
"The reigns of the country should be in the hands of a man of steel instead of a `man of still`. A person who never speaks should not be the prime minister of the country," he said in a veiled attack on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"The country does not need an economist Prime Minister, but a realistic one," Singh told a BJP workers rally during his first visit to Assam since becoming party`s national president in January.
Referring to the country`s financial situation, he claimed that inflation was under control during the NDA rule. "But now everything is becoming costly. Fiscal deficit and current account deficit are rising."
The devaluation of the rupee is a `well-made` conspiracy by Congress as its leaders were now withdrawing black money stashed in Swiss banks, Singh alleged, adding, wrong economic planning and corruption by the Congress government are to be blamed for all the problems.
Singh also warned the Prime Minister, who is a Rajya Sabha MP from the state, of the alleged `gradual and serious demographic change` in Assam due to continuous illegal influx of Bangladeshis and urged the centre to initiate dialogues with the neighbouring country to stop it.
"Manmohan Singhji, please speak up and show some will power. You have ruled the country for nine years. Please raise the issue (of illegal immigration) with Bangladesh as it is going to cause serious demographic change in the entire north east," he told a BJP workers rally.
The country needs good relations with its neighbours, but it should not allow illegal migration, he added.
BJP vice-president and state in-charge S S Ahluwalia, was also present in the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city