India needs more helicopters compared to West and China: HAL
Bangalore: Defence major Hindustan Aeronautics Limited chairman RK Tyagi on Tuesday said India needs more helicopters compared to the West and China.
"India needs more helicopters compared to West and China as these wonder machines have proved their mettle in a variety of uses by Armed Forces in general, during natural calamities and internal security threats," Tyagi said.
He was addressing delegates of National Workshop on "Use of Helicopters for Airborne Law Enforcement (ALE)" organised by the Rotary Wing Society of India (Southern Region).
Pointing out that these machines ensure better governance but the country has far less copters compared to over 35,000 that are operational across the world, he said what is needed is a national helicopter policy, according to an HAL release.
Stressing on benefits of indigenisation and self-reliance, Tyagi said, "India is one of the six helicopter producing nations in the world. HAL Dhruv remains our pride."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH