India needs to add 1 lakh hospital beds for 30 years: Study
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday allowed a plea
by CBI to take transit remand of Binod Sinha, a close
associate of former Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu Koda,
arrested here in a disproportionate assets case to produce him
in a Ranchi court.
Special Judge A S Yadav granted CBI`s request with a
direction to produce Sinha in a court in Jharkhand on
Sinha was arrested yesterday by CBI as he was wanted by
vigilance and enforcement agencies in the hawala case
allegedly involving the former CM and two ministers Enos Ekka
and Harinarain Rai.
The court allowed CBI to take the accused on transit
remand, disregarding his contention that there was a stay on
his arrest by the apex court as he failed to substantiate his
arguments with documentary evidence.
CBI opposed his plea stating that there was no such
stay on his arrest.
He was directed to be produced before Special Judge, CBI,
in Ranchi on September 20.
Jharkhand Vigilance Bureau had registered an FIR on July
2, 2009, in connection with accumulation of disproportionate
assets allegedly by Koda and some former state ministers.
The case was later transferred to CBI by the Jharkhand
High Court and accordingly a case was registered on August
11, 2010 alleging that Sinha earned crores of rupees by
securing allotment of mining leases to his own companies or
his associates for commission during the rule of Koda.
The accused was also alleged to have acquired a large
number of properties and companies within and outside the
country out of this ill-gotten wealth.
Sinha has also been accused by Enforcement Directorate of
investing money on behalf of Koda in India and Middle-East
The High Court`s direction had come on a PIL filed by
social activist Durga Oraon who sought a CBI probe into the
disproportionate assets allegedly owned by Koda and his
former cabinet colleagues.
On October nine last year, ED had filed an FIR against
Koda and some others. On October 31, Income Tax officials had
conducted raids in the premises of Koda and his aides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends