India-Nepal rail link: Major work completed on Indian side
Kathmandu: India has completed a major part of the work on a railway link with landlocked Nepal that is expected to promote tourism and boost trade.
Sixty-eight per cent of work on the Indian side of the Jogbani-Biratnagar line has been completed though Nepal has finished only 20 per cent of the construction on its side, said a statement issued by the Indian Embassy on Friday.
Nepalese and Indian officials met here on Tuesday and discussed issues related to two projects that are expected to benefit Nepal by boosting trans-border trade and promoting tourism.
Besides the Jogbani-Biratnagar railway link, the two sides reviewed progress and discussed pending issues related to the Jaynagar-Bijalpura-Bardibas railway link.
Preparatory works like construction of station building, staff quarters and a bridge are in progress for the Jayanagar Bijalpura Bardibas link.
Nepal assured the Indian side that land for the projects will be acquired and handed over to state-run IRCON at the earliest to expedite work, the statement said.
"Both sides have agreed to provide all necessary support to expedite implementation of these important projects," it said.
Senior officials from both sides, including the Secretary of Nepal`s Physical Infrastructure and Transport Ministry and officials of IRCON International, participated in the meeting.
"The meeting was fruitful and positive," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH