India never raised Captain Kalia’s case with Pakistan: Rehman Malik
New Delhi: Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Saturday said that India has not raised Indian Army`s Captain Saurabh Kalia`s issue with him.
The issue of Kalia`s death was not part of my agenda in India this time, Malik added on the second day of this three-day visit to India.
He further accused the media of creating the agenda for the India-Pakistan talks, terming it "not fair".
Clarifying his Friday’s remarks on Kalia, Malik said he had been "totally misquoted" and that he did not know "too much of the incident".
"I am not a master computer," Malik said.
Malik had created a furore yesterday by saying that he wasn`t sure whether Captain Kalia "was killed by a Pakistani bullet, or the weather" during the Kargil conflict in 1999.
“When the fight is going on the border, we really don`t know whether he was killed with a Pakistani bullet or he died because of the weather," Malik had told reporters here on arrival on a three-day visit.
"I have not examined this case, it has just come to my notice very recently, but I will be very happy to see the father of the soldier, and shake hands and like to know what exactly happened," he added.
Giving clarifications, Malik said: "My full sympathies are with the family... Since the matter concerns the Ministry of Defence, I will take the information and have it investigated... The cause of death is not yet determined. If he was tortured, how could you expect that we would give such a body (back), knowing the reaction it would elicit."
Captain Kalia was captured by the Pakistan Army in 1999 during the Kargil conflict, and his badly tortured and mutilated body was later handed over by Pakistan.
Captain Kalia`s father NK Kalia recently moved the Supreme Court seeking its direction to the government to raise his son`s case at the International Court of Justice at The Hague.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka