India not to get access to Headley for questioning again: US
New Delhi: India will not get fresh access to Mumbai terror attack mastermind David Headley, who is currently in American jail, for questioning, the US indicated on Monday.
This was conveyed to India during the Indo-US strategic dialogue held here today for which Secretary of State John Kerry is here.
India had persistently asked the US to give access to Headley for a second time to get more information about the November 2008 audacious attack.
The US interlocutors have cited Headley`s plea bargain with the American authorities (under which a person avoids death penalty by confessing to the crime) and indicated its difficulty in allowing Indian investigators to further question him.
Headley, who had carried out the recce of the 26/11 targets for the Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba, had also opposed further interrogation by Indian investigators, official sources said. Indian investigators had questioned Headley in 2010.
However, India may be allowed to question Headley`s accomplice Tahawwur Hussain Rana who helped his childhood friend to recce the 26/11 targets.
Indian investigators believe that if they could quiz Pakistani-Canadian Rana, many information could come to light as he was a close associate of his Pakistani-American friend Headley.
The investigators believe that Headley and Rana have a lot of information and their interrogations could throw more light on the conspiracy hatched to carry out the worst terror strike in India and role of those behind it.
Headley had pleaded guilty to 12 terrorism charges, including his involvement in the November 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai that claimed 166 lives. He had, however, entered into plea bargain with US authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing