India not to send 26/11 judge to Pakistan
New Delhi: India will not send to Pakistan
the magistrate who recorded the statement of lone captured
26/11 attacker but is open to allowing him as well as the
investigating officer to appear before a Pakistani court
through video conferencing.
The decision is expected to be conveyed by the External
Affairs Ministry to Pakistan shortly, sources said here today.
Pakistan had asked India to send the Mumbai`s Additional
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate R V Sawant Waghule, who had
recorded the statement of lone 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Amir
Kasab, to appear before its anti-terror court.
It has also demanded that the IO Ramesh Mahale be sent
there for deposition.
Waghule will not be sent to Pakistan, the sources said.
However, if the Bombay High Court permits, he can appear
through video conferencing in a Pakistani court without being
subjected to cross-examination, the sources said.
A petition is being moved in the Bombay High Court to
allow the magistrate to appear through video conferencing.
Similarly, the government has decided to allow Mahale to
appear in Pakistani court through video conferencing.
If Pakistan agrees to the proposal of questioning of the
IO through video conferencing, it will have to make
arrangements for the same, the sources said.
Pakistan has reportedly asked India to respond before
Saturday as to whether it would send the magistrate and the
Pakistan`s contention is that the charges against the
seven Lashkar-e-Taiba activists, including its operations
commander Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, are based on Kasab?s
statement in Mumbai and hence the magistrate and the IO who
were involved in recording that statement should appear before
the anti-terror court there.
India has already provided to Pakistan copies of Kasab`s
statement that was recorded in Hindi and Marathi in the
presence of Waghule. An English version is also available with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- BCCI announces full-strength squad for Bangladesh, Harbhajan Singh makes Test return
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared