India not to support Western sanctions against Russia
New Delhi: With Russia facing sanctions from the US and some other countries after it annexed Crimea from Ukraine, India on Wednesday made it clear that it will not support any "unilateral measures" against Russian government.
"India has never supported unilateral sanctions against any country e.G Iraq or Iran. Therefore, we will also not support any unilateral measures by a country or a group of countries," sources in the government said here.
The remarks came a day after Russian President Vladimir Putin explained the situation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who underlined India`s position on "unity and territorial integrity" of countries and hoped a diplomatic solution would be found to the issue.
Earlier this month, National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon had said, "There are legitimate Russian and other interests involved and we hope they are discussed and resolved."
The US and the EU have imposed sanctions on several officials from Russia and Ukraine accused of involvement in Moscow`s actions in the Black Sea peninsula. Australia has also announced its decision to impose financial and travel sanctions on a dozen political figures from the region.
Putin signed the treaty last night with the Russian- backed leaders of Crimea, pressing ahead with an annexation that Washington and Ukraine`s new government say is illegal and unacceptable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi