India objects to Leno`s remark on Golden Temple
Washington: India has strongly "objected" to
the remark on the Golden Temple by popular US television host
Jay Leno, terming it "quite unfortunate".
Leno, the host of the popular "The Tonight Show" on NBC
channel, flashed a picture of the Golden Temple, the holiest
Sikh shrine, in Amritsar on his programme and termed it as a
possible summer home of Republican presidential candidate Mitt
The visiting NRI Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi on Sunday
"objected" to the remark and said he has directed Indian
Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao to take up the matter with
the State Department.
"It is quite unfortunate and quite objectionable that
such a comment has been made after showing the...Golden
Temple," Ravi told a group of Indian reporters.
"Golden Temple is Sikh community`s most sacred place.
Even our Prime Minister went there for praying in the New
Year. I believe that the person who has shown is not that
ignorant. The American government should also look at this
kind of thing," the NRI Affairs Minister said.
"I wish this kind of thing is not shown by any media in
the US," Ravi said, adding that he has not seen the show
personally and has heard about it from the Sikh community.
"Freedom does not mean hurt the sentiments of others...
This is not acceptable to us and we take a very strong
objection for such a display of an important place like Golden
Temple," Ravi said.
"The Embassy is fully aware of it and they will take it
up," he said.
The comment on Leno`s January 19 show has resulted in an
outrage in the small but strong Sikh community here. They have
launched an online petition against Leno and have started a
Face Book page to express their anger against him.
Jay Leno himself was not immediately available for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800