India offers to share democracy expertise with Egypt
New Delhi: As the world`s largest democracy, India is willing to share its expertise with the new government in Egypt, a leading Indian official said Tuesday as the two countries began a Track II dialogue.
Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA) director general Rajiv Bhatia also spoke on "anxiety about some facets of the Arab Spring" that has ushered in a wave of democracy in the Arab world.
"Developments in the Arab world in the past two years have changed the contours of political and socio-cultural landscape of the region," Bhatia said in his opening remarks at the start of the dialogue with the Egyptian Council for Foreign Affairs (ECFA), a leading think tank in that country.
ICWA is India`s oldest foreign policy think tank.
"As the world`s largest and successful democracy, India warmly welcomes the triumph of democratic forces in Egypt in particular and wishes to share its experience and expertise appropriately," he said.
"But there is also anxiety about some facets of the Arab Spring. A leading Indian foreign policy has referred to `a much darker and destructive aspect to this political transformation`."
Bhatia underlined Egypt`s importance.
"Egypt, being the most vital player in the region in terms of military power, strategic location and human resources, enjoys special significance for India," he said.
"Its historic relationship with India, running from ancient times to the modern era, through NAM period and the post-Cold War era, now needs to be re-looked and refined, in light of the changing matrix in the region."
The Track II dialogue seeks to redefine an old relationship with Egypt after an elected government took office in Cairo after a mass upsurge ousted the regime of president Hosni Mubarak.
"Our dialogue takes place at a time of momentous developments that underline the vast potential for expansion of mutual understanding and cooperation between India and Egypt, two ancient civilizations linked through a long history of contacts and strong mutuality of interests," Bhatia said, hoping that the dialogue will lead to "a new and more promising era in India-Egypt relations".
A four-member ECFA team headed by its executive director Amin Shalaby, who is also Egypt`s ambassador in India, is here to take part in the conference. Eminent Indian diplomats and academics will join the meet to discuss strategic, political and economic issues of common interest.
The dialogue could be the prelude to a visit here by new Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi.
Issues of Syrian civil unrest, Egyptian peace initiative and mediation efforts by the Arab League, building up of Israel-Iran tensions, and the Palestine issue will also figure in the discussions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues