India on alert after Varanasi blast
New Delhi: The Union Home Ministry has
sounded a nationwide alert with special stress on four major
cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad - in wake of
the blast in Varanasi.
"A general alert has been sent to all state
governments and they have been asked to stay on high alert,"
Union Home Secretary G K Pillai said here.
"It was low intensity blast which occurred at about
6.20 pm in which three-four people were injured. Subsequently
we understand there could have been a stampede...as a result
15-20 people were injured. So roughly 20-25 people injured,"
According to Home Ministry sources, alerts have been
issued to the four metropolis - Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad - in particular.
They said a high-level team of the National
Investigation Agency is also likely to visit the holy town.
Secretary for Internal Security at MHA, U K Bansal
said, "We had alerted Uttar Pradesh Police sometime back. I am
sure the UP police will take it as a challenge. There is no
reason for panic."
Kolkata Police tonight issued an
alert and stepped up security in the metropolis in the wake of
the blast in Varanasi.
"Even though there is no instruction from the Union Home
Ministry, we have put our forces on alert," Kolkata Police
Commissioner Gautam Mohan Chakraborty said.
Security agencies stepped up vigil in the national capital as well. According to police sources, the anti-terror measures
were activated soon after the explosion at Sheetla Ghat in
"We have alerted our personnel. We have stepped up
vigil. Anyway, our personnel are always on alert," a senior
police official said.
The official said police will be checking vehicles
randomly. "We are appealing to people to report to us about
any suspicious movement in their localities," he said
An alert has been declared in
Gujarat as well. All security agencies in the state have been alerted
and security heightened in all sensitive parts of the state,
General of Police (Law and Order) Sudhir Sinha said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!