India, Pak agree to observe calm along international border
Jammu: Border guards of India and Pakistan Tuesday agreed to observe calm along the international border to allow farmers harvest crops in the Zero line on Jammu frontier at a flag meeting, at which the BSF lodged strong protest against frequent ceasefire violations from across the border.
"We have lodged a protest with them (over ceasefire violations, shelling in civilian areas and snipping incidents)", DIG (BSF) J C Singla, said after conclusion of the meeting at Octroi border outpost along IB in R S Pura.
"Now the farmers can harvest their paddy crops till the border line without any fear as it was decided to observe calm. The meeting passed in conducive atmosphere and there were some very good decisions taken in the meeting," he said.
Both sides will keep monitoring along the international border and "we will ensure that peace prevails along the borderline," Singla said.
The DIG-Brigadier level flag meeting began at 11.30 AM and continued for three-and-a-half hours, with Singla representing the BSF and Brigadier Mateen, sector commander of Chenab Rangers, representing the Pakistani side.
Since October 14, Pakistan Rangers shelled border villages and outposts with mortars bombs and rocket shells, besides heavy firing from LMGs and automatic weapons along the IB in Jammu frontier.
One jawan was killed in these incidents while 32 others, including 17 civilians, had suffered injuries.
However, Pakistan had denied involvement of its troops.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed