India, Pak agree to observe calm along international border
Jammu: Border guards of India and Pakistan Tuesday agreed to observe calm along the international border to allow farmers harvest crops in the Zero line on Jammu frontier at a flag meeting, at which the BSF lodged strong protest against frequent ceasefire violations from across the border.
"We have lodged a protest with them (over ceasefire violations, shelling in civilian areas and snipping incidents)", DIG (BSF) J C Singla, said after conclusion of the meeting at Octroi border outpost along IB in R S Pura.
"Now the farmers can harvest their paddy crops till the border line without any fear as it was decided to observe calm. The meeting passed in conducive atmosphere and there were some very good decisions taken in the meeting," he said.
Both sides will keep monitoring along the international border and "we will ensure that peace prevails along the borderline," Singla said.
The DIG-Brigadier level flag meeting began at 11.30 AM and continued for three-and-a-half hours, with Singla representing the BSF and Brigadier Mateen, sector commander of Chenab Rangers, representing the Pakistani side.
Since October 14, Pakistan Rangers shelled border villages and outposts with mortars bombs and rocket shells, besides heavy firing from LMGs and automatic weapons along the IB in Jammu frontier.
One jawan was killed in these incidents while 32 others, including 17 civilians, had suffered injuries.
However, Pakistan had denied involvement of its troops.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Cancel your train ticket on phone or via SMS through these easy steps
- Not getting visa? This Balaji temple can help you fly abroad
- Rahul Gandhi visits ailing Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS
- Anybody can play Sangeeta Bijlani's role but not Naureen's: Prachi Desai
- Coal scam: Rungtas move HC against conviction, CBI reply sought