India-Pak discuss terrorism, Abu Jundal, J&K
New Delhi: Focus was on terrorism, especially revelations by recently-arrested LeT operative Abu Jundal on Pakistan`s involvement in Mumbai terror attacks, and Jammu and Kashmir on the first day of talks between the Foreign Secretaries of India and Pakistan.
Refusing to divulge any details of the deliberations, the official spokesperson in Ministry of External Affairs Syed Akabaruddin only said the Foreign Secretaries, along with their respective delegations, have had "two full sessions of detailed discussions covering all aspects of the agenda under the items Peace and Security as well as Jammu and Kashmir."
At the end of the two sessions today, Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai and his Pakistani counterpart Jalil Abbas Jilani have agreed to resume the talks tomorrow in the morning with a view to completing all the items scheduled for consideration, he added.
According to official sources, India flagged its concern over anti-India terror activities being planned from Pakistani soil in the backdrop of arrest of LeT terrorist Abu Jundal who has revealed that he, along with LeT founder Hafiz Saeed, was in the control room in Karachi during 26/11 Mumbai carnage in which 166 people were killed.
The Indian side also raised the issue of Jundal being issued Pakistani passport and Pakistan`s domestic identity cards under the name of Riyasat Ali, to the visiting delegation, indicating the involvement of its state agencies, sources said.
The Foreign Secretaries were assisted by senior officials of both sides, including the Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan Sharat Sabharwal and Pakistan?s High Commissioner- designate to India Salman Bashir.
India is also understood to have reiterated its concern over the slow pace of Mumbai terror attacks trial in Pakistan.
The two sides also talked about confidence-building measures, including in trade and travel and nuclear fields.
In the segment on Jammu and Kashmir, both sides discussed "all aspects" and ways to enhance cross LoC trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM