India-Pak may be able to resolve disputes during my stay: Abdul Basit Khan
New Delhi: Pakistan High Commissioner to India Abdul Basit Khan today expressed hope that the two countries will be able to resolve their bilateral disputes during his tenure here.
"I am new to this beautiful country. I hope that during my stay here, we are able to contribute towards bringing our two countries together and resolving our bilateral disputes," he said.
Khan also said that the two countries will try to lift billions of people out of poverty.
He was speaking at the first talk of Pakistan`s lecture series held at the High Commission here in the presence of Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar and senior lawyer Ram Jethmalani.
Khan was appointed as Pakistan`s new High Commissioner to India in February, replacing Salman Bashir. A normal tenure for a Pakistani High Commissioner is three to four years.
The discussion witnessed travelogues and anecdotes by US-based Pakistani cardiothoracic surgeon and an explorer, Syed Amjad Hussain.
"I think that Hussain never lost his way because he continued to remain in touch with his roots," Khan said pointing out at Hussain`s accomplishments.
He also said that diplomats at times have different perceptions of things.
"We diplomats also travel around the world. But we look at things differently and more subjectively. At times we would look at things not as they are, but how we would wish they be," he said.
Therefore, being a diplomat and the kind of training we have had, our looking at things are different, remarked Khan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical