India, Pak review implementation of existing bilateral CBMs
New Delhi: India and Pakistan on Thursday reviewed the implementation of existing bilateral confidence building measures, including the ceasefire along the LoC during their expert-level meeting on conventional CBMs here.
The two sides also exchanged ideas to further advance the CBM process and reaffirmed their commitment to continue discussions with the aim of strengthening conventional CBMs, a joint statement issued after the meeting said.
"The talks were held in a cordial and constructive atmosphere," it said.
The two sides also agreed to report the progress made during the current round of talks to their respective Foreign Secretaries.
The Indian side also took up the recent incidents of ceasefire violations by Pakistan, sources said.
The Indian delegation during the talks was led by Y K Sinha, Additional Secretary (PAI), Ministry of External Affairs, while Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry, Additional Secretary (UN&EC), Ministry of Foreign Affairs, led the Pakistan team.
The last expert-level meetings on Conventional and Nuclear Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) between India and Pakistan were held on December 26-27, 2011 in Islamabad.
"During their meetings in Islamabad on September 8, 2012, the External Affairs Minister and Foreign Minister of Pakistan had agreed that the next round would be held in the second half of December 2012," the Ministry of External Affairs said.
In the last meeting, Pakistan had proposed to India that deployment of artillery and mortars should be done 30 kilometres away from the Line of Control. However, New Delhi had responded that these were not deployed in "offensive position".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan