India, Pak review implementation,strengthening of nuclear CBMs
New Delhi: India and Pakistan on Friday reviewed implementation and strengthening of existing nuclear Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) as well as possibilities for mutually acceptable additional CBMs.
Pursuant to the agreement between the Foreign Ministers of India and Pakistan during their meeting on September 8, this year in Islamabad, the seventh round of expert-level talks on nuclear CBMs was held here.
"The talks, which were held in a cordial and constructive atmosphere, focused on review of implementation and strengthening of existing CBMs in the framework of the Lahore MoU, as well as possibilities for mutually acceptable additional CBMs," a joint statement issued after the meeting said.
It also said, "Both sides reviewed working of existing Agreements on Pre-Notification of Flight Tests of Ballistic Missiles and Reducing the Risk from Accidents relating to Nuclear Weapons and expressed satisfaction that the latter was extended for a further five-year period from February 2012."
The Indian delegation was led by Joint Secretary (Disarmament and International Security Affairs) in MEA D B Venkatesh Varma while the Pakistani team was headed by Additional Secretary (UN & EC), Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry.
The two sides will report progress made in the talks to their respective Foreign Secretaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM