India, Pak review implementation,strengthening of nuclear CBMs
New Delhi: India and Pakistan on Friday reviewed implementation and strengthening of existing nuclear Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) as well as possibilities for mutually acceptable additional CBMs.
Pursuant to the agreement between the Foreign Ministers of India and Pakistan during their meeting on September 8, this year in Islamabad, the seventh round of expert-level talks on nuclear CBMs was held here.
"The talks, which were held in a cordial and constructive atmosphere, focused on review of implementation and strengthening of existing CBMs in the framework of the Lahore MoU, as well as possibilities for mutually acceptable additional CBMs," a joint statement issued after the meeting said.
It also said, "Both sides reviewed working of existing Agreements on Pre-Notification of Flight Tests of Ballistic Missiles and Reducing the Risk from Accidents relating to Nuclear Weapons and expressed satisfaction that the latter was extended for a further five-year period from February 2012."
The Indian delegation was led by Joint Secretary (Disarmament and International Security Affairs) in MEA D B Venkatesh Varma while the Pakistani team was headed by Additional Secretary (UN & EC), Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry.
The two sides will report progress made in the talks to their respective Foreign Secretaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...