India, Pak to launch new visa regime today
New Delhi: A revised visa agreement between India and Pakistan will be launched on Friday when Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik arrives on a three-day visit to India, official sources said.
Besides the revised visa agreement, the two countries would also discuss counter-terrorism, border management, fake Indian currency notes and cooperation among security and investigation agencies.
Malik will call on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, National Security Adviser Shiv Shankar Menon, and Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj December 15.
The official delegation accompanying Malik includes members from interior ministry, foreign ministry, and Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) among others. This is Malik`s first official visit to India.
From the Indian side, besides Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, his junior RPN Singh and senior officials from home ministry, external affairs ministry and various security agencies would take part in the deliberations.
Malik is visiting India at Shinde`s invitation.
Malik will be arriving at the Palam Technical Airport at 2 pm along with his wife and a delegation which includes officials from FIA.
The announcement and operationalisation of the new visa regime will replace a 38-year-old restrictive accord and will pave the way for time-bound visa approval and greater people-to-people contact and trade.
During the official-level talks, the Home Ministry will take up the issue of handing over the voice samples of the handlers of 10 Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorists who had carried out the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks and the custody of LeT founder Hafeez Saeed.
The Indian side will draw the attention to four booklets handed over to Pakistani authorities during Krishna`s visit which include the number of wanted person including underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, activities of ISI in Kashmir, progress on 26/11 and evidences of Pakistani territory being used for anti-India activities.
The FIA officials are likely to hold separate meetings with NIA and CBI officials during which the issue of pumping Fake Indian Currency Notes into India from Pakistan, smuggling of narcotics will be discussed.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption