India, Pakistan exchange lists of prisoners
Islamabad: India and Pakistan exchanged a list of prisoners lodged in each other`s jails following a 2008 pact, an official statement said on Monday.
The foreign office of Pakistan handed over to the Indian High Commission here a list of 491 Indian prisoners lodged in Pakistani jails, while a similar list of 386 Pakistani prisoners was handed over to the Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi by the ministry of external affairs.
Pakistan`s Interior Ministry and India`s home ministry will consult the provincial home departments and jail authorities to ascertain how many of the prisoners are completing their terms. Accordingly, these prisoners are released, said the statement.
According to the statement, lists of prisoners are to be exchanged between the two countries twice a year, on Jan 1 and July 1, following a consular agreement signed in May 2008.
Last May, Pakistan released 46 Indian fishermen as a goodwill gesture and is making arrangements for the release of 11 Indian prisoners by the middle of this month, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’