‘India planning to procure two more AWACS for IAF’
New Delhi: India is planning to procure two more Airborne Warning and Control Systems (AWACS) for the Indian Air Force, Lok Sabha was informed on Monday.
"Three AWACS are already operationalised in the IAF and there is a proposal for procurement of two additional AWACS," Defence Minister A K Antony said in a written reply.
He said the long-term integrated perspective plan seeks to have a mix of large AWACS aircraft and small Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) system aircraft.
DRDO is also working towards developing indigenous AEW and C system on the Embraer aircraft and it is expected to be completed within 84 months.
To another query, Antony said, "Due to inclement weather, heavy snow accumulation, avalanches and landslides fencing along the LoC gets damaged."
The government is aware that terrorists attempt infiltration throughout the year including during the winter months when the fence is covered by snow or repair works are in progress, he said.
Antony said additional proactive measures in terms of surveillance and troop deployment are undertaken to foil infiltration attempts.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed