‘India planning to procure two more AWACS for IAF’
New Delhi: India is planning to procure two more Airborne Warning and Control Systems (AWACS) for the Indian Air Force, Lok Sabha was informed on Monday.
"Three AWACS are already operationalised in the IAF and there is a proposal for procurement of two additional AWACS," Defence Minister A K Antony said in a written reply.
He said the long-term integrated perspective plan seeks to have a mix of large AWACS aircraft and small Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) system aircraft.
DRDO is also working towards developing indigenous AEW and C system on the Embraer aircraft and it is expected to be completed within 84 months.
To another query, Antony said, "Due to inclement weather, heavy snow accumulation, avalanches and landslides fencing along the LoC gets damaged."
The government is aware that terrorists attempt infiltration throughout the year including during the winter months when the fence is covered by snow or repair works are in progress, he said.
Antony said additional proactive measures in terms of surveillance and troop deployment are undertaken to foil infiltration attempts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'