India planning to tie up with Russia in naval ship-building field
New Delhi: India is planning to tie up with Russia for enhancing self reliance in capabilities for design and development of all types of warships, including submarines, for the Navy and the Coast Guard.
The Defence Ministry is planning to have a tie-up between the Kerala-based National Institute of Research and Development in Defence Shipbuilding (NIRDESH) and Russian Krylov Institute for working in this direction, officials told PTI here.
The Russian institute, set up in 1890s, has been working in this field for a very long time and can help NIRDESH to augment its capabilities, they said.
NIRDESH was launched on January 4, 2011 by Defence Minister A K Antony to help in developing a robust defence industrial base by providing technology support and promote ancillary industry participation in the defence shipbuilding sector.
The issue was also discussed at the meeting of the Board of Governors of NIRDESH headed by the Defence Minister, who is also the chairman of the institute.
The meeting decided to appoint the head of the Naval Design Directorate as the nodal officer to support NIRDESH as the Navy would be the biggest beneficiary out of the output of the institute, they said.
A sub-committee has also been appointed by the Ministry to prepare a roadmap for growth of NIRDESH while another would examine and select Research and Development projects to be undertaken by it.
"One project on indigenisation of rubber items used on Scorpene submarines is already progressing at the Rubber Research Institute of India at Kottayam," they said.
NIRDESH will also take up projects related to development of civilian vessels.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know