India plans to strengthen posts along Sino-Indian border
New Delhi: Government on Friday indicated that
it is planning to strengthen troop posts along the borders
with China and acquire modern weaponry and specialised
vehicles for soldiers guarding the icy frontier.
"We are considering an ITBP restructuring plan. The plan
includes measures to strengthen border posts," Home Minister
P Chidambaram said at the 48th raising day of the ITBP, which
guards the 3,500 km long Sino-Indian border.
Surveillance equipments, modern weaponry and specialised
vehicles will also be procured to equip the force, he said.
Chidambaram said the "country is going through a
difficult phase" in terms of cross border terror, situation in
Jammu and Kashmir, insurgency in North-East and left wing
extremism in various states.
"We are confident that we have the strength and capacity
to overcome these challenges," he said.
The Home Minister said under the plan, the ITBP will
have 15 new battalions, three recruit training centres, a
counter insurgency and jungle warfare school as also a high
altitude medical training centre.
Chidambaram said the Home Ministry has delegated
"enhanced financial powers" to the Directors General of the
Central para-military forces to make the procurement process
Referring to the welfare measures for jawans, he said
the government has streamlined the payment of their Provident
Fund and they can now draw money in 26-30 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video