India plans to strengthen posts along Sino-Indian border
New Delhi: Government on Friday indicated that
it is planning to strengthen troop posts along the borders
with China and acquire modern weaponry and specialised
vehicles for soldiers guarding the icy frontier.
"We are considering an ITBP restructuring plan. The plan
includes measures to strengthen border posts," Home Minister
P Chidambaram said at the 48th raising day of the ITBP, which
guards the 3,500 km long Sino-Indian border.
Surveillance equipments, modern weaponry and specialised
vehicles will also be procured to equip the force, he said.
Chidambaram said the "country is going through a
difficult phase" in terms of cross border terror, situation in
Jammu and Kashmir, insurgency in North-East and left wing
extremism in various states.
"We are confident that we have the strength and capacity
to overcome these challenges," he said.
The Home Minister said under the plan, the ITBP will
have 15 new battalions, three recruit training centres, a
counter insurgency and jungle warfare school as also a high
altitude medical training centre.
Chidambaram said the Home Ministry has delegated
"enhanced financial powers" to the Directors General of the
Central para-military forces to make the procurement process
Referring to the welfare measures for jawans, he said
the government has streamlined the payment of their Provident
Fund and they can now draw money in 26-30 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla