India praises scrapping of Hindu goddess swimsuits
Canberra: An Indian minister on Thursday welcomed the scrapping of an Australian swimwear line that included women`s bikinis decorated with the image of a Hindu goddess.
Designer Lisa Blue outraged many Hindus by parading models in a range of bikinis and one-piece swimwear carrying the image of Lakshmi — the goddess of beauty, wealth and good fortune — during Australian Fashion Week in Sydney last week.
Hindu-majority India conveyed its "deep concern" to the Australian ambassador in New Delhi this week, its Department of External Affairs said in a statement. Indian media reported angry mobs burning Australian flags in northern Punjab state in protest.
Indian Commerce Minister Anand Sharma said the issue was raised in discussions with his Australian counterpart Craig Emerson in Parliament House on Thursday.
"Lakshmi is a deity which is worshipped by the Hindus and using the image on a swimwear line offended the sensitivities and the religious sentiments" of Hindus, Sharma said.
"The concerned company was rightly advised and has withdrawn the line and that issue is settled because by doing so, sensitivity on this matter and the religious sentiments have been respected," he added.
Lisa Blue has apologised for any offence caused. The company said in a weekend statement that production of the swimwear had been halted and none of the offending swimsuits would be sold.
"The use of images of goddess Lakshmi was not in any way a measure of calculated risk taking, simply it was a desire to celebrate different cultures and share that through our brand," the statement said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata