India preparing national employment policy: Kharge
New Delhi: India today said it is preparing
a National Employment Policy to provide a framework towards
achieving the goal of providing decent employment for all men
and women in the labour force.
"India is in the process of formulating a NEP... it will
provide a holistic framework towards achieving the goal of
remunerative and decent employment for all men and women in
the labour force in a sustainable manner," Labour and
Employment Minister Mallikarjun Kharge said.
The minister was addressing the 99th Session of the
International Labour Conference at Geneva, which is being
attended by 170 countries.
Kharge said though job growth has reappeared, global
unemployment is still at record levels.
"We are all aware that there is no sustainable recovery
without job recovery. The test we face today is to secure a
strong, sustainable and balanced growth that leads to social
stability provided by decent work for all," he added.
Pointing out that countries responded differently to the
global downturn, Kharge said India was among the first few
countries to implement a broad-based counter-cyclical policy
package to respond to the negative fallout of the global
"India responded to the challenge of minimising the
impact of the crisis and shifted its policy stance from
monetary tightening to monetary easing. Our policy response
was aimed at enhancing the availability of credit at lower
cost for financing economic activities," the minister added.
He said India agreed with ILO that the size of the
deficits and the level of debt will have to be brought down in
an orderly manner.
"Governments are in agreement that exit strategies from
stimulus packages need to be timed to ensure their link to an
upswing in demand and growth. India believes that exit
policies of various countries should be broadly coordinated,
but not necessarily synchronised as each country has a
different situation," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars