India ranks 2nd in world for natural disasters: UN
Geneva: India ranks second in the world
for natural disasters after China, a top UN official has said
underlining that unplanned urbanisation and failure to address
the issue of climate change pose a grave threat worldwide.
The two rapidly growing countries in the world - China
and India - rank first and second in the number of reported
natural disasters. While China witnessed 22 natural disasters,
India came second with 16.
About 373 natural disasters killed over 296,800 people
last year. The estimated costs of natural disasters in 2010 -
in which an earthquake in Haiti killed over 222,500 people and
the Russian heat wave caused around 56,000 fatalities - is
around USD 110 billion.
The loss of lives and destruction to property was
several times higher in China which witnessed landslides,
earthquakes, and floods on an increasing scale.
"Unless we act now, we will see more and more
disasters due to unplanned urbanisation and environmental
degradation," warned Margareta Wahlstrom, the special
representative to the UN Secretary General for disaster
A disaster is "a situation or event which overwhelms
local capacity, necessitating a request to a national or
international level of external assistance" and "an unforeseen
and often sudden event that causes great damage, destruction
and human suffering."
"These figures are bad," she said, cautioning that
"weather-related disasters are sure to rise in the future, due
to factors that include climate change."
Other than the Haiti earthquake and the heat wave in
Russia, other major disasters include the earthquake in China
(estimate number of deaths 2,968), floods in Pakistan (1985
deaths), landslides in China (1765 people killed) and floods
Floods, drought, earthquake, and extreme temperatures
are the major sources for rising wave natural disasters.
"It`s critical for local governments, city leaders and
their partners to incorporate climate change adaptation in
urban planning, said the UN official.
Disaster risk reduction, she said, is "no longer
optional," arguing that "what we call disaster risk reduction-
and what some are calling risk mitigation or risk management-
is a strategic and technical tool for helping national and
local governments to fulfil their responsibilities to their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe