India ranks number six in donation to Wikipedia/ Wikimedia
Bangalore: Nearly 10,488 people from India
donated USD 193,657.88 to Wikimedia Foundation/Wikimedia,
during the annual fund raising making India as the sixth large
donor to the organisation.
United States ranked first with 328691 donors donating
USD 10,038,417.59, according to Tinu Cherian, Wikipedian.
In 2009/10, India ranked 16th in terms of donation with
2,956 individuals from India donating USD 52,156.57.
According to Arun Ramarathnam, Executive Commmittee
member Wikimedia India chapter" in my opinion most of the
contributions possibly come from readers"
"I think the increased contributions this year was a
welcome development", he said.
"I do believe it could be attributed to coverage in
broadcast media, visits to various places, proliferation of
meetups across cities, increased awareness. The Banner
campaign on the Main page was very visible and had excellent
recall amongst users," he said.
Ramarathnam also attributed it to Progressive increase in
online transactions in India. "I think contributions would get
better if one could use Online funds transfer from Bank
The Wikimedia Foundation is a nonprofit charitable
organisation dedicated to encouraging the growth, development
and distribution of free, multilingual content, and for
providing full content of these wiki-based projects to the
public free of charge.
The Wikimedia Foundation operates some of the largest
collaboratively edited reference projects in the world,
including Wikipedia, a top-ten internet property.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India