India rejects Pak diplomat`s remarks, terms it `unacceptable`
New York: India on Thursday strongly rejected Pakistan`s allegation that it was sponsoring terrorism in South Asia, with External Affairs Minister SM Krishna terming
it as "unacceptable".
"We have rejected it... This is totally unacceptable," Krishna told a news agency as he left New York after attending the opening session of the General Assembly here.
"The track record of India speaks so eloquently," he added. "We don`t need to defend our position."
On Wednesday, following Krishna`s speech at the annual debate of the General Assembly in which he blasted Pakistan for sponsoring terrorism in Jammu and Kashmir, Pakistani delegates charged India of supporting terrorism in South Asia.
"The Indian government is well advised to take careful stock of its own polices and conduct that includes supporting terrorist elements in neighbouring countries which contributes to the problems facing South Asia," said Amjad Hussain B Sial, deputy envoy of Pakistan to UN.
The remarks by Pakistani diplomat led to a sharp exchange of words between the diplomats of both countries in the General Assembly.
India closed the spat by saying, "We reject all untenable and unsolicited remarks from the distinguished delegate of Pakistan."
Krishna in speech had said, "Jammu & Kashmir, which is an integral part of India, is the target of Pakistan-sponsored militancy and terrorism."
The confrontation at the UN happened after more than a week of critical remarks and retaliations from both sides, which led to a potential Indo-Pak bilateral finally not taking
place during the opening session of the General Assembly.
However, Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi is expected to come to New Delhi at a date, which has yet to be decided.
Responding to whether these latest remarks by Pakistan would negatively impact future talks, Krishna said, "Draw your own conclusions."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars