India repatriates 91 Pakistani prisoners
Amritsar: Firming up confidence building
measures, India repatriated 91 Pakistani prisoners, including
87 fishermen, at the Amritsar-Wagah Border today on the eve of
crucial talks between the Foreign Ministers of both the
nations in New Delhi.
All the prisoners crossed the international border on the
basis of `Emergency Travel Certificate` issued by the Pakistan
High Commission in the national capital, officials said.
While, the 87 fishermen, arrested for illegally entering
India`s territorial waters, were released from Gujarat`s
Jamnagar jail, one was freed from a Haryana prison and two
were from Amritsar central jail. Another prisoner Mohammad
Raheel, who was in Sangrur jail in Punjab, was arrested from
Jammu and Kashmir for suspected involvement in terrorist
activities, they said.
Two prisoners released in Amritsar were arrested for
crossing international border without valid documents.
The Pakistanis spent one to five years in Indian jails.
The repartition move comes on a day when Foreign
Secretaries of India and Pakistan held consultations to
finalise the agenda for the meeting between their foreign
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her