India repatriates 91 Pakistani prisoners
Amritsar: Firming up confidence building
measures, India repatriated 91 Pakistani prisoners, including
87 fishermen, at the Amritsar-Wagah Border today on the eve of
crucial talks between the Foreign Ministers of both the
nations in New Delhi.
All the prisoners crossed the international border on the
basis of `Emergency Travel Certificate` issued by the Pakistan
High Commission in the national capital, officials said.
While, the 87 fishermen, arrested for illegally entering
India`s territorial waters, were released from Gujarat`s
Jamnagar jail, one was freed from a Haryana prison and two
were from Amritsar central jail. Another prisoner Mohammad
Raheel, who was in Sangrur jail in Punjab, was arrested from
Jammu and Kashmir for suspected involvement in terrorist
activities, they said.
Two prisoners released in Amritsar were arrested for
crossing international border without valid documents.
The Pakistanis spent one to five years in Indian jails.
The repartition move comes on a day when Foreign
Secretaries of India and Pakistan held consultations to
finalise the agenda for the meeting between their foreign
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why