India reports 163 polio cases this year
New Delhi: India has reported 163 polio cases so far this year and is among the four countries - Nigeria, Pakistan and Afghanistan, besides India - where the deadly paralytic disease continues to be endemic.
Informing the Rajya Sabha Friday, union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said only four countries in the world are endemic for polio and have never stopped transmission of the wild poliovirus.
"They are Nigeria, India, Pakistan and Afghanistan. In addition to these four endemic countries, there are 15 countries that have reported polio cases during 2009 so far," the minister said.
"India does not account for maximum number of polio cases. Nigeria has reported more polio cases than India. During the year 2009 (till July 31), India has reported 163 polio cases compared to 349 polio cases in Nigeria. In 2008, India reported 559 polio cases while Nigeria reported 789," the minister said.
In Pakistan till July 28, about 25 polio cases have been reported, while in 2008, it had 117 such cases.
Afghanistan has 13 cases so far, in comparison to the 31 it reported last year.
Azad said the government has constituted the India Expert Advisory Group (IEAG) that comprises of national and international experts in the field of public health, epidemiology and virology.
The group meets each year to review the polio situation and give recommendations to the government on how to eradicate polio, he said.
"IEAG in its last meeting held in June has concluded that epidemiological, virological, genetic, operational and technical evidence suggests that India is firmly on the right path to attain polio eradication," he said.
However, he added that no firm date can be given when the disease could be eradicated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened