India reviews rehabilitation work in Sri Lanka
Colombo: Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Ashok K Kantha has visited the stronghold of former Tamil Tigers in the eastern province to understand the ground situation there and review the ongoing rehabilitation work undertaken by New Delhi.
"High Commissioner reviewed projects of Indian assistance currently being undertaken in the province. He also held wide ranging discussions with various stakeholders to assess the impact of these projects on the ground and understand local priorities and requirements in order to further expand India’s development assistance," said a statement released by the High Commission here.
The High Commissioner inaugurated a Vocational Training Centre set up with Indian assistance of 76 million Lankan rupees in the Batticaloa district. He also met political, religious, military and civil society leaders in the region.
Another such centre was commissioned at a cost of 250 million Lankan rupees also in Batticaloa during the visit of the Indian parliamentary delegation in April.
Kantha also discussed implementation of the Housing Project, which would involve construction of about 4,000 houses in the eastern province, with various stakeholders, including potential beneficiary communities.
"The objective of the visit to the Eastern Province was to understand the ground situation in the Province and explore opportunities to further develop economic, cultural and people-to-people links with that part of Sri Lanka", the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?