India rushing relief to typhoon-hit Philippines
Gurgaon: India is sending 15 tonnes of relief material to the Philippines which was hit by a super typhoon in which 10,000 people have died, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said here on Tuesday.
"As a measure of support, India proposes to send immediate relief supplies to the Philippines to help those affected by the typhoon. An aircraft with 15 tonnes of relief supplies will depart for the Philippines tonight.
"The material will consist of medicines and hygiene chemicals, fresh water and water purification material, tents, blankets, mattresses, tarpaulin and ground sheet for shelter; pre-cooked meals, biscuits and milk powder such that the affected persons can be provided immediately relief in terms of medical treatment, shelter and food", he said.
Khurshid said that "as a follow up measure" India will consider sending a ship, equipped with water treatment facilities and additional relief material, to typhoon-affected areas to provide rehabilitation measures as well as transport to effectively ameliorate the sufferings of those affected".
Khurshid was addressing a press conference here on the conclusion of two-day Asia-Europe Foreign Ministers (ASEM) meeting.
The ASEM Foreign Ministers` meeting had on Monday asked the ASEAN Secretariat to match the requirement of typhoon-hit Philippines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Aditi and Mohit Malik’s Indonesian vacation will give you honeymoon goals
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today