India, Russia agree on disaster management coop
Moscow: India and Russia on Wednesday agreed to
deepen their cooperation in disaster management and a joint
commission has been proposed to workout modalities.
During talks between Russian Minister for Emergency
Situations (MChS) Sergei Shoigu and Home Minister P
Chidambaram, who arrived here last night on a three-day Russia
visit, they agreed to closely cooperate to tackle natural and
Shoigu recalled that India and Russia have a long
record of ties in preventing disasters and emergency
situations and in 2010 they inked an intergovernmental
agreement on interaction in case of natural and man-made
He proposed to setup a joint commission to evolve
modalities for the implementation of this inter-governmental
agreement to further boots bilateral cooperation.
"We have come to study your rich experience and gain
from it while setting up our crisis management centre,"
Chidambaram was quoted as saying by MChS spokesperson.
Chidambaram, who will hold high-level security
dialogue with top Russian ministers and officials, is the
first Home Minister to visit Russia in almost 15 years since
Communist leader Indrajit Gupta`s tour in 1997.
Russia has a state-of-the-art crisis control centre,
which keeps real time record of each and every case of
accidents and disasters in the country.
The centre has highly mobile infrastructure that can
airlift rescue and relief teams into any part of the country
Chidambaram said India, which has setup a National
Disaster Management Authority, is also in the process of
creation of such crisis control centre.
Chidambaram will hold wide ranging talks with Russian
Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov, Interior Minister Rashid
Nurgaliyev, Director General of Federal Security Service (FSB)
Alexander Bortnikov and other senior officials responsible for
the homeland security and anti-terror combat, official sources
Under the reforms ordered by President Dmitry Medvedev
the Soviet era mechanism of a paramilitary force has been
dismantled and it has been renamed from `militia` to `police`
like in most of the civilised world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow