India, Russia agree on disaster management coop
Moscow: India and Russia on Wednesday agreed to
deepen their cooperation in disaster management and a joint
commission has been proposed to workout modalities.
During talks between Russian Minister for Emergency
Situations (MChS) Sergei Shoigu and Home Minister P
Chidambaram, who arrived here last night on a three-day Russia
visit, they agreed to closely cooperate to tackle natural and
Shoigu recalled that India and Russia have a long
record of ties in preventing disasters and emergency
situations and in 2010 they inked an intergovernmental
agreement on interaction in case of natural and man-made
He proposed to setup a joint commission to evolve
modalities for the implementation of this inter-governmental
agreement to further boots bilateral cooperation.
"We have come to study your rich experience and gain
from it while setting up our crisis management centre,"
Chidambaram was quoted as saying by MChS spokesperson.
Chidambaram, who will hold high-level security
dialogue with top Russian ministers and officials, is the
first Home Minister to visit Russia in almost 15 years since
Communist leader Indrajit Gupta`s tour in 1997.
Russia has a state-of-the-art crisis control centre,
which keeps real time record of each and every case of
accidents and disasters in the country.
The centre has highly mobile infrastructure that can
airlift rescue and relief teams into any part of the country
Chidambaram said India, which has setup a National
Disaster Management Authority, is also in the process of
creation of such crisis control centre.
Chidambaram will hold wide ranging talks with Russian
Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov, Interior Minister Rashid
Nurgaliyev, Director General of Federal Security Service (FSB)
Alexander Bortnikov and other senior officials responsible for
the homeland security and anti-terror combat, official sources
Under the reforms ordered by President Dmitry Medvedev
the Soviet era mechanism of a paramilitary force has been
dismantled and it has been renamed from `militia` to `police`
like in most of the civilised world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security