India, Russia agree on final price for Admiral Gorshkov
New Delhi: Within a month of the Prime
Minister`s visit to Moscow, the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft
carrier issue between India and Russia seems to have been
resolved as the two sides have agreed on the final price for
the warship after several years of protracted negotiations.
Talks on the issue between Defence Ministry`s Contract
Negotiation Committee (CNC) and a Russian team were concluded
recently, Defence Ministry sources said here.
The proposal will now be sent to the Finance Ministry and
after getting clearance from there, the Cabinet Committee on
Security will take a final call on the issue, they added.
The aircraft carrier is expected to join the Indian Navy
fleet in 2012 as `INS Vikramaditya`.
The two countries have been renegotiating the deal since
2007 after Moscow demanded an additional USD 1.2 billion for
the warship. Later, the demand was increased to USD 2.9
billion for refitting and refurbishing the aircraft carrier.
The deal finalised during the NDA regime in January 2004
and India had paid USD 1.5 billion for the warship and 16 MiG
29K fighter aircraft.
Of this amount, USD 948 million were paid for refitting
the 44,500 tonne vessel and the balance was for the combat
jets and Kamov anti-submarine warfare helicopters to be
deployed on the ship.
During Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit to Russia
earlier this month, officials had said the two countries have
ended the stalemate over the contentious price and technical
issues for aircraft carrier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video
- Power Series Conclave on 'Make in India' organised by The Dollar Business on Aug 24
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue
- M&M launches DiGiSense platform to access vital vehicle info