India, Russia contract for supplying tank ammunition
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of the Army Chief highlighting critical shortage of shells for armoured regiments, a Defence Ministry report on Monday said a contract was signed with Russia in 2010 for 16,000 rounds of ammunition for T-90 tanks.
In its annual report issued today, the Defence Ministry said a contract for procurement of 66,000 rounds of ammunition for 84 mm rocket launchers was signed in March last year with Swedish Saab.
"A contract for procurement of 16,000 rounds of FSAPDS ammunition for tank T-90was signed with Rosoboronexport, Russia in December 2010. It became effective in March, 2011, and the complete consignment is likely to be delivered by March, 2012," the report said.
In a recent letter, Army Chief Gen VK Singh had pointed out the poor state of defence preparedness saying tank regiments were short of ammunition and 97 per cent of the Army Air Defence equipment was obsolete.
On the AAD, the Defence Ministry report said the contract for procuring Akash Missile Systems was signed last year and steps were being taken for upgrading Self-propelled Air Defence and Schilka air defence systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?