India, Russia discuss piracy threat, Admiral Gorshkov
New Delhi: India and Russia on Monday
discussed ways to increase cooperation in tackling the growing
threat of piracy in the Indian Ocean region and the issue of
training navy personnel for operating aircraft carrier Admiral
The deliberations in this regard were held between
Indian Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma and his Russian
counterpart Admiral Vladimir Sergeevich Vysotskiy, who arrived
here today on a three-day visit to the country.
"Whilst discussing the maritime environment, specific
emphasis was laid on the growing threat of piracy in the
Indian Ocean Region (IOR) and various possibilities for the
two navies to co-operate," Navy officials said here.
Discussions on ongoing projects included "detailed
deliberations on the training of Indian Naval personnel for
the operation of aircraft carrier rechristened as INS
Vikramaditya, scheduled to commence later this year," they
India has placed orders for the 44,500 tonne Admiral
Gosshkov aircraft carrier in 2004 but the delivery schedule of
the warship was delayed due to frequent price revision by the
After the issue related to the purchase was settled
last year, the warship is now expected to join the Indian Navy
by the end of next year.
The two Admirals also held discussions on issues of
common interest ranging from the maritime environment in the
Indian Ocean Region and operational philosophies of the two
They also discussed the ways of enhancing
possibilities for regularising Navy-to-Navy interactions with
`staff talks` and the feasibility of enhancing the scope of
the INDRA exercises between the Indian and the Russian
During his visit, Vysotskiy will also visit the
Mumbai-based Western Naval Command and go on-board INS
Shivalik, the indigenously built stealth frigate.
The two countries share deep historical military
relations which have transformed into a strategic partnership
with joint developmental projects such as BrahMos and Fifth
Generation Fighter Aircraft being cases in point.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!