India, Russia end Gorshkov price stalemate
Moscow: After protracted re-negotiations,
India and Russia have ended the stalemate over contentious
price and technical issues for the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft
carrier which had become an irritant in bilateral ties.
"There has been excellent progress in negotiations on
technical issues and there has been a successful conclusion,"
Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao told reporters at the end of
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s talks with Russian President
Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on the
second day of his three-day official visit to Moscow.
Details of the final price fixed for the sale of the
aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya were not disclosed.
Indian officials said a price satisfactory to both sides
has been worked out for the refitting and delivery of Admiral
Indian and Russian defence officials have been
negotiating the price for the purchase of the refurbished USD
2.2-billion aircraft carrier for several years.
Moscow was asking for USD 2.9 billion for the aircraft
carrier, nearly thrice the price that was originally agreed
between the two sides in 2004. But New Delhi wanted the price
to be scaled back to USD 2.1 billion.
Delays in refitting the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier
and huge cost overruns have been a particular concern with
India. It had also put at unease the otherwise time-tested
relationship between the former cold war allies.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference