India, Russia pact to extend BrahMos missile partnership
New Delhi: India and Russia are expected to sign a pact during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit there to extend their partnership indefinitely for producing the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile.
A proposal in this regard was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Security in its meeting on Thursday headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, sources said here.
The Prime Minister will embark on a two-day visit to Russia on October 20 after which he will go to China.
New Delhi and Moscow had agreed for a 15-year partnership when the agreement was signed in 1998 and then extended it up to February 2014 earlier this year.
With this new pact, the two countries will continue to have partnership in this venture as long as they want.
The BrahMos, jointly developed by India and Russia, is capable of carrying a conventional warhead of 300 kg.
The missile can cruise at a maximum speed of 2.8 Mach (or 2.8 times the speed of sound).
India is readying several versions of the missile which includes land attack, anti-ship and submarine-launched versions.
India and Russia had recently also agreed to develop a hypersonic version of the cruise missile.
India has plans of deploying the BrahMos on its frontline fighter aircraft Su-30MKI in next few years and trials are expected to be carried out by early next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India