India, Russia reach broad accord on Gorshkov price
Moscow: India and Russia have reached a broad
agreement to break the logjam over the protracted price
renegotiation over the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier deal,
official sources said on Sunday.
Sources said the general agreement being worked out is to
the mutual satisfaction of the two countries, who have been
unable to attain a finality on the deal after India decided to
buy the aircraft carrier re-christened as INS Vikramaditya.
Sources indicated that the deal may no longer be a
festering sour in bilateral relations.
Sources, however, said any pact in this regard is
unlikely to be signed after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s
summit talks with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev tomorrow
during his official visit to Russia beginning today.
Ahead of the visit, the Prime Minister voiced confidence
of finding a "practical solution" to resolve the problem
dogging the deal.
Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma said earlier this week
that the protracted price renegotiation for the Admiral
Gorshkov aircraft carrier is in final stages but refused to
set a deadline for clinching the deal.
"We are in the final stages. Fourth round of talks on
fresh price is going on at present to fix the tasks needed on
Gorshkov and the costs," Verma had said when asked if
negotiations would be over before the Prime Minister`s visit.
Verma had said India is working to get the delivery of
the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier aircraft carrier by
India had bought the warship in 2004 for USD 974 million,
but Russian shipyard Sevmash hiked the price twice since 2007
and currently demands an additional USD 2.9 billion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof